Papers on Formal Analysis, Security and Reliability, Cyber-Physical System Design, Operation, and Control
Formal Approaches: Security and Reliability Analysis
Confidentiality Preserving Security Properties for Cyber-Physical Systems , Thoshitha Gamage, Tom Roth, and Bruce McMillin, Proceedings of the 2011 Computers, Software, and Applications Conference, Munich, July 2011.
Verification and Protection of Confidentiality in an Advanced Smart Grid, Ravi Akella and Bruce McMillin, 45th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Maui, HI, January 2012.
Information Flow Security in Cyber-Physical Systems, Thoshitha Gamaga, Ravi Akella, Tom Roth, and Bruce McMillin, Proceedings of the 7th Annual Cyber Security and Information Intelligence Research Workshop (to appear), Oak Ridge National Laboratory, TN, 2011.
- Analysis of Information Flow Security in Cyber-Physical Systems, Ravi Akella, Han Tang, Bruce M. McMillin, International Journal of Critical Infrastructure Protection, Elsevier, Vol 3-4, pp. 157-173, Dec, 2010.
- Information Flow Analysis of Energy Management in a Smart Grid , Ravi Akella and Bruce McMillin, The 29th International Conference on Computer Safety, Reliability and Security (SAFECOMP '10), Vienna, Austria, (technical report version at http://filpower.mst.edu/documents/Akella-DGI_Security.pdf), pp. 263-276
- Integrated Cyber-Physical Fault Injection for Reliability Analysis of the Smart Grid, Ayman Z. Faza, Sahra Sedigh, and Bruce M. McMillin, The 29th International Conference on Computer Safety, Reliability and Security (SAFECOMP '10), Vienna, Austria, 2010.
Environmental Obfuscation of a Cyber-Physical System - Vehicle Example , Jason Madden and Bruce McMillin, 34rd Annual IEEE International Computer Software and Applications Conference, Seoul, KOREA, 10.1109/COMPSACW.2010.39 pp. 176 – 181, July, 2010
Enforcing Information Flow Security Properties in Cyber-Physical Systems: A Generalized Framework Based on Compensation Environmental, Thoshitha Gamage and Bruce McMillin, 34rd Annual IEEE International Computer Software and Applications Conference, 10.1109/COMPSACW.2010.36, pp. 158-163, July, 2010, Seoul, Korea
- Reliability analysis for the advanced electric power grid: from cyber control and communication to physical manifestations of failure , Ayman Z. Faza, Sahra Sedigh, and Bruce M. McMillin In Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Computer Safety, Reliability and Security (SAFECOMP 2009), 15 - 18 September 2009, Hamburg, Germany, Lecture notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, Volume 5775/2009: 257-269.
- Enforcing Information Flow Security Properties in Cyber-Physical Systems: A Generalized Framework Based on Compensation , Thoshitha T. Gamage, Bruce M. McMillin and Thomas P. Roth, Technical report
- EM Enforcing Information Flow Properties using Compensating Events , Thoshitha T. Gamage and Bruce M. McMillin, 42nd Hawaii International International Conference on Systems Science (HICSS), pp.1-7, Big Island, HI, January 2009.
- Observing for Changes: Nondeducibility Based Analysis of Cyber-Physical Systems . Thoshitha T. Gamage and Bruce M. McMillin (Proceedings of the Third Annual IFIP WG 11.10 International Conference on Critical Infrastructure Protection, Dartmouth, NH, March 23-25, 2009, Critical Infrastructure Protection III (Springer, 2009))
- The advanced electric power grid: complexity reduction techniques for reliability modeling , Faza, A., S. Sedigh Sarvestani, and B. McMillin. SAFECOMP 2008, Lecture notes in Computer Science, Vol 5219, September 2008: 429-439.
- Security property violation in CPS through timing , Tang, Han and McMillin, B.M. 28th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems Workshops, 2008. ICDCS 2008 (June 2008): 519 - 524
- Verifying Noninterference in a Cyber-Physical System - The Advanced Electric Power Grid , Yan Sun, Bruce McMillin, Xiaoqing (Frank) Liu, David Cape, Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Quality Software (QSIC 07), 11-12 October 2007, Portland, OR.
- Reliability Modeling of the Power Grid Ayman Z. Faza, Sahra Sedigh, and Bruce M. McMillin, Proceedings of SAFECOMP 2007 26th International Conference on Computer Safety, Reliability and Security, 18 - 21 September 2007, Nuremberg, Germany.
- Inductive versus Recursive Partitioning of Progress Graphs David Cape, Bruce McMillin, Benjamin Passer, Mayur Thakur. July 16, 2007.
- Use of Max-Flow on FACTS devices. A. Lininger B. McMillin M. Crow B. Chowdhury, 2007 North American Power Symposium.
- Analysis of the security of information flow in the Advanced Electric Power Grid using FACTS Han Tang and Bruce M. McMillin (Proceedings of the First IFIP WG 11.10 International Conference on Critical Infrastructure Protection, Dartmouth, NH, March 19-21, 2007, Critical Infrastructure Protection: Issues and Solutions (Springer, 2007)).
- Model Checking Control Communication of a FACTS Device David A. Cape, Bruce M. McMillin, and James K. Townsend (Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Embedded Computing (EC-06), Columbus, OH, August 14, 2006, pp. 391-396 )
- Creating Cascading Failure Scenarios in Interconnected Power Systems Badrul H. Chowdhury and Sushant Barave, IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, Montreal, Canada, June 18-22, 2006
- Cascading Line Outage Prevention with Multiple UPFCs . Hong Tao Ma, Mariesa L. Crow, Badrul H. Chowdhury, and Adam Lininger. (Power Symposium, 2007. NAPS '07. 39th North American, pp. 273-278)
Hardware/Software Co-Design and Co-Analysis
Microgrid Application With Computer Models and Power Management Integrated Using PSCAD/EMTDC , Tu A. Nguyen, Xin Qiu, Thoshitha T. Gamage, M. L. Crow, Bruce M. McMillin, and A. C. Elmore, Proceedings of the 2011 North American Power Symposium, Arlington, TX, Boston, MA, 2011.
- An Instance-Based Structured Object Oriented Method for Co-Analysis/Co-Design of Concurrent Embedded Systems Matt Ryan, Sule Simsek, Xiaoqing (Frank) Liu, Bruce M. McMillin, and Ying Cheng, 30th Annual IEEE International Computers Software and Applications Conference. September 2006, Chicago, IL, pp. 273-280
- A Methodology for Structured Object-Oriented Elicitation and Analysis of Temporal Constraints in Hardware/Software Co ,Yan Sun, Xiaoqing (Frank) Liu, and Bruce M. McMillin, 30th Annual IEEE International Computers Software and Applications Conference. September 2006, Chicago, IL, pp. 281-290
- A Systematic Framework for Structured Object Oriented Security Requirements Analysis , Sojan Markose, Xiaoqing (Frank) Liu, and Bruce McMillin
- Structured Object-oriented Co-analysis/Co-design of Hardware/Software for the FACTS Powers System M. Ryan, S. Markose, Y. Cheng, F. Liu, and B. McMillin , 29th Annual Computers, Software, and Applications Conference
- Hardware/software Co-design for Power System Test Development , Austin Armbruster, Matt Ryan, Frank Liu, Ying Cheng, and Bruce McMillin, Proceeding of the 2004 ACM workshop on Interdisciplinary software engineering research, pp. 83-88, 2004
Integrated Cyber-Physical Power System Design, Operation, and Control
- A Novel Real-Time Approach to Unified Power Flow Controller Validation , IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol 25, Issue 4, pp. 1892-1901 (with K. Wang, M. Crow, and S. Attcity)
- Distributed Grid Intelligence for Future Microgrid with Renewable Sources and Storage , Fanjun Meng, Ravi C Akella Mariesa Crow, and Bruce McMillin, Proceedings of the 2010 North American Power Symposium, Arlington, TX, Sept 2010
- Distributed Power Balancing for the FREEDM System , Ravi C Akella, Derek Ditch, Fanjun Meng, Bruce McMillin, and Mariesa Crow, The 1st Smart Grid Computing Conference, Gaithersburg, MD, pp. 7-12, Oct 3-6, 2010
- Distributed Power Balancing for the FREEDM system , Ravi Akella, Fanjun Meng, Derek Ditch, Bruce McMillin, and Mariesa Crow, FREEDM Annual Conference 2010, May 2010, Tallahassee, FL
- Optimality of Distributed Grid Intelligence for Power Distribution , Derek Ditch and Bruce McMillin, FREEDM Annual Conference 2010, May 2010, Tallahassee, FL
- Development of a FACTS real-time hardware-in-the-loop simulation . Keyou Wang, Mariesa Crow and Ying Cheng, 39th North American Power Symposium.NAPS 2007 - Oct 2007: 118-123
- Steady state formulation of FACTS devices based on ac/ac converters . J. M. Ramirez, J. M. Gonzalez and Mariesa Crow. (IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Vol. 1, Issue 4, (July 2007) pp. 619-631)
- Novel Dynamic Representation and Control of Power Networks Embedded with FACTS Devices . S. Mehraeen, Jagannathan Sarangapani and Mariesa Crow, IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, 2008. Pgs. 3171-3176. 12-15 Oct. 2008
- An Open Framework for Highly Concurrent Hardware-In-The-Loop Simulation Ryan C.Underwood, Bruce M. McMillin and Mariesa L. Crow, 32nd Annual IEEE Computer Software and Applications, 2008. COMPSAC'08, pp. 44-51, July-August 2008
- An Open Framework for Highly Concurrent Hardware-In-The-Loop Simulation Master`s thesis, Ryan C. Underwood (supervised by Bruce McMillin), 2007
- An Approach to Improving the Physical and Cyber Security of a Bulk Power System with FACTS Mariesa Crow, Bruce McMillin, and Stan Atcitty, the 5th biennial conference on Electrical Energy Storage Systems Applications and Technologies, San Francisco, Calif., Oct. 17-19, 2005
- UPFC Control Employing Gradient Descent Search W. Siever, R. P. Kalyani, M. L. Crow, D. R. Tauritz, Proceedings of the 37th Annual North American, pp. 379- 382, 23-25 Oct. 2005
- Improving grid fault tolerance by optimal control of FACTS devices W. Siever, A. Miller, D. R. Tauritz, Proceedings of First International ICSC Symposium on Artificial Intelligence in Energy Systems and Power, AIESP 2006, pp.7-10
- Power Transmission Control Using Max-Flow , Austin Armbruster, Mike Gosnell, Bruce McMillin, amd Mariesa Crow, 29th Annual International Computers Software and Applications Conference, pp.256-263 Vol. 2, 28-28 July 2005
- Evolutionary Optimization of Flexible A/C Transmission System Device Placement for Increasing Power Grid Reliability , John Chaloupek, Daniel R. Tauritz, B. McMillin and M.L. Crow. In Proceedings of FEA 2005, the 6th International Workshop on Frontiers in Evolutionary Algorithms, pages 516--519, Salt Lake City, Utah, July 21-26, 2005
- Improving Grid Fault Tolerance by Optimal Control of FACTS Devices , William M. Siever, Ann Miller and Daniel R. Tauritz. Improving Grid Fault Tolerance by Optimal Control of FACTS Devices. International Journal of Innovations in Energy Systems and Power, 2(1):44--49, June 2007
- The Maximum Flow Algorithm Applied to the Placement and Steady State Control of FACTS Devices , Austin Armbruster, Mike Gosnell, Bruce McMillin and Mariesa Crow, Proceedings of the 2005 North American Power Symposium and Submitted to the IEEE Transactions on Power Systems
- A Reconfigurable FACTS System for University Laboratories Dong, L. Crow, M.L. Yang, Z. Shen, C. Zhang, L. Atcitty, S., IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Feb. 2004, Volume: 19 , Issue: 1, page(s): 120 - 128
- Controlling Power Using FACTs Devices and the Maximum Flow Algorithm , Austin Armbruster, Bruce McMillin and Mariesa Crow, Proc. 5th International Conference on Power Systems Operation and Planning, ICPSOP-2002, Abuja, Nigeria December 16-18, 2002
- Fault Tolerance and Security for Power Transmission System Configuration with FACTS Devices, Bruce McMillin and Mariesa Crow, "Proceedings of 2000 North American Power Symposium", pp. 5.1-5.9, October, 2000